Monday, September 10, 2007

Lessons from Caleb-Calling God's Name

“And it shall come to pass, that whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved (Joel 2:32).”

I have learned many lessons lately from my nine month old son, Caleb. Within the last couple of weeks, he has started calling “Dada” or “Mama” when he wants attention from either me or my wife, Delia. The feeling is amazing when he looks up at me and says with his cute little voice, “Dada.” It instantly makes me want to stop whatever I am doing and pick him up, play with him, and let him know that he is loved!

I believe that our Father in heaven feels much the same way when we call His name. He is waiting for us to turn away from all earthly distractions, look to Him and call on Him for deliverance. He will save and deliver all who cry to Him. This saving goes far beyond our initial salvation experience. He’s not only after a one-time experience where we call Him Savior, but desires us to have a lifestyle where we consistently seek Him. He can deliver us from every sin, bondage, and destructive habit; He can bring salvation and revival to our schools, families, and neighborhoods; He can cause us to live a truly victorious life-but are we faithfully seeking Him for these things?

Of course, when I write about calling on the name of the Lord I mean something more than just saying “Father”, “God”, or “Jesus” with our lips. That is important, but it is easy to just say the words. Rather, God is looking for people who will come to Him in true brokenness and desperation, just as my son comes to me. Caleb often uses all of his energy and focus just to crawl to where I am sitting and grab hold of the bottom of my leg so I can reach down and pick him up. If we can just lay aside all of our busy activities and scratch the surface of true desire to come to Christ and call His name, God will come running to meet us and our needs as well. God doesn’t look for the very popular, highly educated, or naturally successful, but for those who will truly focus and abandon themselves to Him.

There is another thing I have noticed when Caleb calls out to me or crawls to my side. Sometimes he calls because he has a need (hunger, pain, sleepiness, etc.), and sometimes he calls just because he wants to be close to me. Shouldn’t our relationship with our Father in heaven be the same? Yes, we should definitely come to Him with our specific needs, things like healing, salvation for family members, and help on our exams. But there should also be many more times when we come to Him, not with an agenda, but simply because we want to spend time in His arms.

Finally, when Caleb has called me and I pick him up, he always clings to me. Especially if there is a loud noise or a scary situation, his little fingers grip my neck or shirt very tightly! He is determined to not be separated from his father. God is looking for that same desperation in us, that we do not let God go but cleave to Him in prayer. Let’s all apply these lessons from Caleb’s very natural life into our spiritual one! We have a Heavenly Father who is infinitely wise, good, and merciful; He is simply waiting for us to truly call out to Him! He will supply all we ever need.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home